I often get asked “what steps do I absolutely have to do in my skincare routine?” I think this is such a great question. It’s not uncommon for most of us to not want to spend a lot of time, or spend a lot of money on skincare products, or maybe you just don’t know where to begin.
Taking excellent care of your skin is SO important. Your face is your first impression. And you want to always give good face! Whether you are just starting a skincare routine, or looking to revamp your current one, here are my must do skincare steps that I recommend every single person should be doing.
- Cleanse your face every morning and every night. Your skin rejuvenates and replenishes itself while you sleep. Because of this, it’s absolutely key to cleanse all of the makeup, dirt, and oil off prior to enjoying your sweet slumber. Cleansing first thing in the morning is equally as important too! While the skin is rejuvenating at night it will push toxins, free radicals, etc to the top of the skin. Washing your face in the morning will get all that crud off. You can cleanse using a clarisonic or with your hands. My all time favorite cleanser is Purity by Philosophy because it really gets everything off without a fuss, and leaves my skin prepped for my current 4-step Regimen.
- Use a Toner. I have to admit this is something that I’ve never been a huge fan of because my skin is so hyper sensitive to the majority of products, and toner just makes my skin feel like it’s on fire. Once I started using Rodan + Fields products I immediately fell in love with the Reverse Intensive Brightening Toner. I know the word “Intensive” sounds a little scary, but, I promise you it’s absolutely wonderful. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the natural luminosity in my skin, and my freckles/sun damage is pretty much nonexistent. Toner is a great way to ensure that you not only get any residual oils and dirt left on your skin after cleansing, but, a great way to prep your skin for moisturizer. It’s important to use toner morning and night for best results.
- Moisturize after cleansing. It’s important to keep your skin hydrated. Even if you have oily skin you don’t want to “dry your skin out.” If you have oily skin try to use an oil control lotion moisturizer, or an oil free moisturizer. My personal fav is the Rodan + Fields Oil Control Lotion. For those with dry skin, moisturizing is SO important! I cannot stress this enough. Coming from somebody that has naturally dry skin – Dry skin = fine lines, wrinkles, dull complexion. Investing in a good moisturizer and keeping your skin hydrated and plump is essential. I recommend the Rodan + Fields Moisture Replenishing Cream. It’s perfect for sensitive skin, and works amazingly well for those of us with super dry skin. Using a moisturizer morning and night is recommended.
- Use eye cream every morning, and every night. The first place our wrinkles will show up is around the eye area. Every time we smile and squint we are cementing those crows feet even further. If you are young, eye cream is preventative. If you are middle age or older, eye creams can be used to reverse wrinkles and dark circles while preventing any new aging. You are never to young to start using an eye cream. Apply an eye cream every night after cleansing and before your put on your moisturizer. My absolute must have eye cream is the Rodan + Fields Triple Multi-function Eye cream. It reverses the signs of aging, gets rid of puffiness, and banishes those pesky dark circles. It’s so amazing it’s already sold out this year! If that doesn’t make you want to get your hands on this little miracle in a jar, then I don’t know what will! Matter of fact…it comes back in stock today so comment below to get your hands on some before it sells out again!
- Exfoliate at least once a week. The skin is constantly generating new skin cells, pushing the old ones to the surface. Once the skin cells reach the surface they are dead, dull and flat. If they continue to sit there they will clog pores, cause texture and give the overall complexion of the skin a dull look. Exfoliating at least once a week (as much as 3 times a week, but, no more than that) will get all the dead skin cells off. This simple step will reveal new, healthy glowing skin cells. Exfoliating will keep the skin looking fresh and prevent clogged pores and break outs. My favorite exfoliator can be found here.
- Use sunscreen. The sun is the MOST aging/damaging to the skin. Always wear sunscreen when you are going to be outside. I’ve had two bouts of Squamous Cell Carcinoma on my body that have both resulted in fresh new scars on my face and leg. When I was younger I didn’t take very good care of my skin, so now this is unbelievably important for me, and should be to you as well. Sunscreen should be applied at least every few hours, and better yet, every hour when you’re playing in the water. Keep in mind that the hottest hours of the day are between 10AM and 2PM, and these are the hours you should focus on using the sunscreen, wearing a hat and sunglasses, finding shade, or staying in doors if possible. My favorite sunscreen can be found here.
- Water, water, water and more water. Water is so important not only for the body but also for the skin. Water flushes out toxins from the skin. It also hydrates from the inside out. Drinking enough water will give a more “plumped” look to the skin on top of all of the other health benefits it gives the rest of our body.
What are some of your skin care essentials?